Monday, May 9, 2016

Post 16 REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESEARCH and editing.

Hey there!!



Today is all about that edit, that edit!
      I have finished the novel as such but as all writers know, finished isn't the same as finished. I am knee-deep in research for Houston TX. (In case someone from Houston is reading this, I'd LOVE to hear from you.) Why am I researching Houston, you ask? Well, I'll tell ya!

Because Houston is the backdrop to my story, where my characters live and breathe (well, some of them. Some don't need to breathe) I've never had the pleasure of visiting Houston, or Texas, for that matter.
     So to give my story the feel of actually being in Houston, I am googling, googling I tell you, everything about Houston. From temperatures to fauna and flora, typical weather patterns, sunrise - sunset, the way my character drives to and from work and other places, architecture.
I'm sure I'm bound to get something wrong but at least I can say I tried.

     I think I rarely write about places I've lived or been too but I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's because I like not knowing the particulates because it frees up my imagination. :)
Whatever the reason, I love writing my stories and then adjusting the location into a bit better. Themes and feels aren't my strong suit. I focus more on characters emotions and scenes.
 
 The book - Writing fiction of dummies - categorizes me as a 'Seat of the pants' writer. I think it's pretty accurate since I'll get an idea or a character which makes me start writing. From there, I'm just along for the ride. Sometimes horrible things happen to my characters and sometimes they are simply goofing off.
I save everything I write so I can maybe someday use it in some form or the other. Or so I can one day look at it and go:

    So editing is something I have to really work at. I've gotten better at editing, maybe even outlining where I want the story to go or where I need this character to be. Then as many stories tend to do, they take on a life of their own and throw a monkey wrench into my plans and suddenly this person is dead.

I love it, though, it makes it harder to fix or get my main character to where he or she needs to go.
I'm along for the ride, til the end.
Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment