Monday, June 13, 2016

Post 35. A post I never wanted to write.



I've been keeping silent on my FB, Instagram, and Twitter about the attacks on Pulse, the nightclub in Orlando. Not because I think it doesn't concern me, not because I don't want to comment. It's the simple fact that nothing I can say is going to make this better.

As a human being,  I sat in front of my computer after my Hubs woke me on Sunday morning, reading article after article about the horrible events which, at the time, were still unfolding. My heart hurt and my stomach clenched. Trying to make sense of such violence is impossible. Nothing can make me understand how one person can hurt another. Not hate, not anger, not ignorance. There is no good reason. None.

I can't imagine what the families of this tragedy are going through. I know no one who lost someone that night. Yet, I find myself heartbroken and angry. I am angry this happened, I'm angry so many people lost their lives so senselessly.

I feel helpless. I want my children to live in a world where they can grow up safe, where they can go out to party without worrying about horrible things happening to them. I want for them to study whatever they want and be safe at school. I want for them to be able to support whatever political party they want and be safe. I want my children to practice whatever religion they choose, or don't, and be safe. I don't want them judged by their skin, sexual orientation or beliefs. I want my children, and everyone, to be safe.
There has to be a way to stop these horrible things from happening all over the world.

I know all we can do is keep living our lives and being true to ourselves. I will not let this, or any other event, stop me or my children. I will fight hate with love and darkness with light.
I just wish... I wish we didn't have too.

All my love and sympathies go out to the people who lost someone.

Sincerely,
Gunnhildur, a citizen of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment