Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Post Nr. 2! While on hold...

      Let's face it, most of us don't like the whining instrumental music. Especially when we're on hold.

I was on hold with my bank earlier today and all the while I was listening to the unbelievably boring, staticky instrumental music (honestly, who picks these things?)
Maybe it's just me but, my mind wanders when I'm put on hold, A LOT.
      I wonder what's taking so long, how much time I have before I need to pick up the kids, did I press go on the laundry machine, what shall I have for dinner, etc, etc. When I've run through the usual train of thoughts, I start wondering what kind of character could do the job of a phone operator.
Of course, for me, Deadpool is a dead ringer (get it?) Although, I doubt he would be very helpful.

To make it more interesting, I continued with this line of thought while the instrumental of the Titanic (seriously?!) whistled in my ear.
      What would happen if Sherlock Holmes himself answered the phone? Most likely he'd explain to me as if I were an imbecile why I was having troubles with my cards and then want to know why. I wanted to buy makeup on sale online, but I'd rather die than admit THAT to Sherlock.
Certainly, such a job would be beneath him.

What about Gandalf? Sure, it would take forever since I can't for the life of me see Gandalf picking up a phone, let alone type in some random numbers on a computer. My money (HA! Cause I'm calling the bank!) would be on the scene ending in Gandalf bringing his staff down on the computer, shouting something like: "YOU HAVE NO CASH!"
Not looking good for me, or the fellow employees who witnessed it.

Of course, eventually, I got through to a lovely lady but by that time I had forgotten why I called in the first place. Feeling disoriented, I finally managed to tell the very real human being on the other end what I needed and she quickly told me the problem and helped me fix it. So perhaps, I didn't actually need a fictional character to help me, but it sure was fun imagining it.

No comments:

Post a Comment